Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 8, 2013

Acuña Mexico 2013

Five years ago, I went on my first mission trip.  Our church partners with an organization called "Casas por Cristo".  I had no idea what I was getting myself into. As the time to leave came closer, I began to doubt if I should go.  I wondered if I could really make a difference. After all, I did not have building skills, I thought I might just be in the way. I was not in good physical shape - overweight, and not used to extreme heat. I could not speak Spanish, so I had no idea how I would even communicate with the people there.
But I had made a commitment to my church, and to my daughter, so I loaded up and went anyway.
And there is where I learned that "God does not call the equipped, but equips the called". Somehow I learned to hammer in nails... and take out bent nails. I discovered that sheetrock is very heavy, and that you cut it with a box knife. When me and Natalia were asked to wire the house, I was terrified - I couldn't do that - I had never wired anything, but a drill was put into my hands and a box of electrical wire with a few instructions. No one but myself questioned whether or not I could do it. With a lot of smiles and hand gestures, all of us connected with the Mexican family members. Now there is a little house in Juarez Mexico that a family lives in with their children, and they call it home.

Last week my family and I returned to Mexico, but this time in Acuña, to build my third house, (it was my daughter's sixth build). I still don't have many building skills, I am still overweight, and God still equipped me to do His work. The only thing that has changed is my language skills. I have been feverishly studying and practicing Spanish for the past year,  so I could communicate better and learn more about the family that we were building for. This year, my new friends, Raul and Maria, and their 5 month old baby Jerith received a house, not from me, or my group, but from the One that they had prayed to. Raul works hard, and is also the youth pastor and sound engineer at his church. Their pastor came every day to help our group build the house. It was so fun to get to talk to Pastor Roberto - he likes to talk and was very patient with my Spanish skills.

 From that first mission trip, I learned so much, and each time I learn more. I am not afraid to go to Mexico or any other place. I am not afraid I will not be equipped or valuable to the cause. I even bought the Casas por Cristo shirt that says:

This LOVE is not for COWARDS



No comments:

Post a Comment