Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Peru 2014 - Part 8 Parque Amistad, Kennedy Park

Friday, August 22

 Today was a good day. We slept in, then gathered our clothes to take to a laundry mat. Here it is not do it yourself, wash and dry in a few hours. You take it in and put it in a basket to be weighed. We won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow afternoon. We had breakfast, and good coffee at a little place on the corner. The store keeper was very friendly.We walked down to a big store called "Wongs ". Wong's is like a Wal-Mart, where you can buy just about anything from groceries to mattresses - but no wash clothes. We have not found wash clothes for bathing any where in Peru. Not that I have to have one, but it is something I have noticed - no bath scrunchies either.   I fell in love with a set of children's books about different animals from Peru.  They are Wong specials - and I will have them before I leave. We then went over to a McDonalds for some chicken nuggets. Yes, I know, go all the way to Peru and then eat at McDonalds - but I was asking Mark to be so far from his comfort zone, a little bit of McDonalds was find. Then over to Parque Amistad. They have a little steam train and it was field trip day for kids about kindergarten age. They were really cute, of course. They also had ducks, geese, koi, normal park stuff. Mark loves churros, so when he saw the churro stand, he had to try one with honey - he liked it.  It is also the place were many of the couples get married in their civil ceremonies every week day. Most people have both a civil ceremony and a religious ceremony. There were photographers in the park photographing newlyweds.
I contacted one of my other friends, Flavio, and have made plans to meet up with him on Monday for a tour of downtown Lima by a local.
We went out walking and in and found a little cake place, MarĂ­es,  and had delicious chocolate cake. Not worrying about calories - we walked 11 miles today.











After Giancarlo got  off work we went to dinner in the big rich tourist area of Miraflores. The restaurant was Italian, and we drank Pisco Sours, Mark has his first Cusquena beer. It was a nice walk afterward. We stopped in a few stores and I learned about Pisco, and how to choose the best one for Pisco Sours.  Interesting that all the American chain restaurants from mid level to very expensive were located there. We went to Parque Kennedy where there is a large colony of cats living - not wild, but cared for by the city. Cats in the trees, sitting beside people on benches, being petted. All I can say is the cat lady that owned them before must have left a huge chunk of money! It was pretty cool. The park also had artisans with all kinds of things. Lots of foreign tourists out at night in Miraflores.  My jeans were still at the laundry, so I thought I would were my nice dress, since we were going out....yeah, I was the only one.... I really must study fashion trends in countries and regions before I visit. But I did not see any of the fashions portrayed in Google "fashion in Lima Peru". All in all, it was a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment