Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 22, 2012

Awards from Capture 2012

Each year, the Professional Photographers Association of Arkansas holds a print competition and continued education convention for all it's members. A lot of work goes into organizing, advertising, and just doing what all it takes to make sure it is beneficial to the members, and in the end to the clients that choose APPA members. I have been a part of APPA since before I became a photographer for the public. Mark had joined years before, and the people were so nice and caring, of course it was only natural for me to be a part of it.

Earlier this week, I was honored to have 3 prints deserve a merit. I had the highest individual score ever for me, and also the highest average for me too. I was thrilled with that as my own personal accomplishment, but when my name was announced for "First Place Portrait" in my division, I was shocked and very excited. Most of the work I do is portraits - not candids, weddings, or commercial work - but beautifully lit portraits. It was nice to get a first place and affirmation of skills.
After I sat down and started on my coffee, my name was called again. This one was even more special - the Delores Schrader award for the best Black and White image in competition. This award was set up in memory of Mrs. Delores Schrader by her husband, G.J. "Buddy" Schrader who was an APPA president from 1948-1949. There are so many photographers that have gone before us that were dedicated to education in this industry. Thank You to all of them.

My model for the winning image is Mr. Robert Larsen. I met Robert at church and not by his looks, but my our discussions of life, I knew he would be great for this project I already had in my mind. One of the print judges comment was "You can just see that he is honestly in prayer". The judges discussed and discussed it, gave it a score, and then called it back up to discuss again and raised the score again.  My chest was pounding and I could not stay seated. I thought I was going to have to leave the room. I plan to send this, and the other prints on to national competition, with the hopes of them doing as well there as they did at Capture 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment